What is one of the least effective questions a sales manager can ask when trying to measure sales performance? ‘What sales do you have coming in?’
What should you ask about?
How can you get better at measuring sales performance?
Of course, these stages may be broken up into multiple steps depending on the business.
So, what does all that mean?
- 24 New Leads
- 8 Qualified Leads
- 4 Needs Analysis, and
- 2 Presentations.
Some extra benefits of doing this are:
- The greater the visibility of the sales process, the more likely you will be able to identify where the sale is breaking down or slowing down for individuals in your team. Once you know that, you can coach and focus on what they are doing at that point.
- Further, if you have a salesperson doing extremely well, moving a client from one stage to the next, ask them to share how they do it and the rest of the team will benefit.
- If you are a technical business, you need to allocate technical personnel to a new client when you sell a solution. This visibility will allow you to prepare for the new influx of work, without having to find the resources at the last minute and upsetting the operations team.
- Sales management becomes a lot easier when you have the data and process to back you up. You can performance manage salespeople that are not undertaking the activities that are shown to cause a sale. Weeding the salesroom is a sure-fire way to create the space for the good players to thrive.
- Understanding the sales process,
- Understanding the ratios that currently exist,
- Identifying the gaps, and
- Upskilling the sales team based on those sales process steps.
Matthew works with owners and managers of B2B software companies to get more clients by simplifying high value, complex sales. Matthew started his first software business over 20 years ago, after a very successful sales career where he regularly outsold long established players in a number of markets. Matthews' relentless thirst for knowledge and his ability to apply that knowledge in real world situations makes him a truly versatile salesperson. If you're interested in scaling up and getting more clients then definitely reach out and request a free strategy session today.